Exterior painting is a great way to give your home a fresh look and increase its curb appeal. However, if not done properly, it can quickly turn into a nightmare. Today, we at Bill Engler Painting would like to share some of the most common exterior painting mistakes to avoid.
Do I Need to Wash Outside of House Before Painting?
1) Skipping the painting prep work. Preparing the surface before painting is crucial. This includes cleaning, sanding, scraping, and priming the surface. Skipping this step can lead to a poor paint finish and peeling paint.
2) Not using quality painting materials. Using cheap paint, brushes, and rollers can save you money in the short term, but it can cost you more in the long run. Low-quality materials often require more coats, which can increase labor costs, and the paint may not last as long, requiring repainting sooner.
3) Painting in the wrong weather conditions. Extreme temperatures, high humidity, and direct sunlight can affect the paint’s performance and cause it to dry too quickly or not adhere to the surface correctly. It’s best to paint in mild temperatures, between 50-85 degrees Fahrenheit, and avoid painting on windy or rainy days.
4) Not using the right paint for the surface. Different surfaces require different types of paint. For example, wood siding requires a paint that can expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity, while stucco requires a paint that can breathe and allow moisture to escape. Using the wrong type of paint can lead to peeling, cracking, and other issues.
5) Overbrushing or over-rolling. Overbrushing or over-rolling can cause paint to become too thin, leading to a streaky or uneven finish. It’s important to use a steady hand and apply the paint evenly, without overworking it.
6) Painting over dirty or wet surfaces. Painting over dirt or a damp surface can cause the paint to not adhere properly and lead to peeling and cracking. It’s essential to ensure the surface is clean and dry before painting.
7) Not using a paint primer. Primer is essential for creating a smooth, even surface for the paint to adhere to. It also helps the paint last longer and provides better coverage. Skipping the primer can result in a poor finish and the need for more coats of paint.
8) Not protecting surrounding areas. Painting can be messy, and it’s essential to protect surrounding areas, such as windows, doors, and landscaping. Covering them with tape, plastic, or drop cloths can prevent accidental paint splatters and stains.
9) Rushing the painting job. Painting takes time and patience. Rushing the job can lead to mistakes and a poor finish. It’s essential to take the time to prep the surface, apply the paint evenly, and allow the paint to dry between coats.
10) Not hiring a painting professional. Exterior painting can be a daunting task, and it’s not something that everyone can do well. Hiring a professional painter can ensure the job is done correctly and can save you time and money in the long run.
Interior & Exterior Painting & More in Shillington, Muhlenberg, Wyomissing, Sinking Spring, Exeter, Wernersville & Greater Reading, Pennsylvania
Ultimately, exterior painting mistakes can be costly and time-consuming to fix. By avoiding these common mistakes, you can ensure a smooth and long-lasting finish that will improve your home’s appearance and value. To ensure it the exterior painting project is done right in the Greater Reading, PA area, contact Bill Engler Painting.