Painting the outside of your home is no small task. When you have decided it is time to put a fresh coat of paint on the exterior of your home, you want to make sure you are getting it right. Part of getting the exterior paint on your home right and extending the life of your paint is choosing the right exterior paint to begin with. Bill Engler Painting is here to talk all about exterior paint, and what you should be looking for in paint for the outside of your home.
What Should I Look for in a Good Exterior Paint?
There are a lot of things that you need to take into consideration before you choose the exterior paint for your house. Following are some of the things that you should think about to make sure that you choose the paint that is right for your home.
– VOCs in Paint: In the past, oil based paint was said to be the best paint for the outside of your home. However, oil based paint often has high VOCs or volatile organic compounds that can lower air quality. In recent years, latex paint has come a long way in producing a durable exterior paint that has low VOCs. That way, homeowners don’t have to compromise air quality and their health for durability in their exterior paint.
– Paint Durability: You are going to want to make sure that any paint you choose for the exterior of your home is as durable as possible. The paint that you choose needs to be able to stand up to the elements which includes wind, rain, snow, and even hail. When you are focused on durability when choosing an exterior paint, it can last nearly three times as long as a cheaper paint.
– Dry Time of Paint: This is another thing that you will want to consider when choosing your exterior paint. The dry time of your paint is going to determine when you can put the second coat on. With an oil based paint it can take 8 to 10 hours too dry, while a latex paint takes as few as four to six hours to fully dry.
– Paint Color Duration: You want the paint that you choose for the outside of your home to be able to hold up to sunlight and fading. Choosing a higher quality paint will ensure that your paint doesn’t fade with time.
– Surface Being Painted: You also need to think about the surface that you are painting. You would approach painting wooden surfaces differently than you would surfaces like aluminum.
Exterior & Interior Painting, Deck Staining & More in Shillington, Muhlenberg, Wyomissing, Sinking Spring, Exeter, Wernersville & Greater Reading, Pennsylvania
If you are getting ready to paint the outside of your home, you can turn to the painting professionals at Bill Engler Painting. We will make sure that the exterior of your home is painted to perfection. You can count on our exterior painting surfaces to be long-lasting. Call us today!